North Yorkshire firefighters face busy night of grass fires | Gazette & Herald

2022-07-29 23:04:28 By : Ms. Chunyan wu

FIREFIGHTERS in North Yorkshire have had another busy night.

After declaring a major incident following the sheer volume of calls on Tuesday (July 19), there were more call-outs to grass, crop and woodland fires last night (July 20).

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Station manager Bob Hoskins said that following yesterday’s incidents across North Yorkshire he would like to pass on some fire safety tips:

·       Ensure farm machinery is maintained

·       Discarded cigarettes & glass can start fires  

·       Don’t use disposable BBQ 

·       Over heating equipment & bearings can start fires

Following yesterday’s incidents across @NorthYorksFire, we would like to pass on some fire safety tips ✅Ensure farm machinery is maintained🚜 ✅Discarded cigarettes & glass can start fires 🔥 ✅Don’t use disposable BBQ 🍖 ✅Over heating equipment & bearings can start fires

Last night (July 20) emergency services were called to a field fire near Kirkbymoorside.

Crews from Pickering and Helmsley responded to the fire in Wombleton at 5.13pm, consisting of waste straw and cardboard measuring 10 square metres, which the service believed to have been caused by spontaneous combustion.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews extinguished the fire and dampened down the surrounding area with some assistance from the farmer.”

Later yesterday evening, crews responded to another field fire near Malton.

Firefighters from Malton responded to a report of a baler on fire in a field in West Knapton at 6.20pm.

As a result of the fire, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said there was “100% damage to the baler and 10% damage to the tractor.”

A spokesperson for the service said: “Crews extinguished the fire, removed remaining bales from the machine and spread them out with the assistance from farm machinery before dampening the area down.”

North Yorkshire firefighters were also busy last night in the Scarborough.

At 7.05pm a crew from Scarborough responded to a report of a woman who had become trapped in a deck chair, which had collapsed.

The incident happened on Queen Margaret’s Road and a spokesperson for the service said that crews released the woman using crew power.

Over an hour later, firefighters were called to a fire to grass land in Scarborough on Seamer Road, at 8.50pm.

A spokesperson for the service said: “Crews extinguished the fire measuring 2m x 2m using 1 hose reel jet.”

We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused.

Please report any comments that break our rules.

This website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation's Editors' Code of Practice. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here

© 2001-2022. This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network. A Gannett Company. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. HP10 9TY. Registered in England & Wales | 01676637 |

Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event.

As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles.

Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services.

These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community.

It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times.